Saturday, April 04, 2009

Refuge


I was inspired by my daughter's mix cd's to do my own vocal mix.  She does great mixes that I listen to in the car and I thought I'd do a similar one of my own.  Of course the finished product is not as uptempo as hers.   This being an ambient mix blog, most of the tunes are fairly quiet.

There is no unifying theme here, other than I like these tunes.  The Martin Grech tunes are from "March of the Lonely" which made it on my best of 2008 list.  I could have put in a ton of David Sylvian tracks but ended up with just two.  Hmmm, maybe I should do an all Sylvian mix someday.  There are two new songs in there,  "Another World" by Antony & the Johnsons and "Foreground" from the new Grizzly Bear.  The rest are a mix of old & fairly new cuts.

I did cheat a little bit by sneaking in one instrumental track.  It's "Bell Toll by Daniel Lanois from his fantastic Omni series box.  Somehow it just fit right.  I also cheated on the graphic.  I took an album cover by Dan Deacon and wiped out his title & put my own in.  The pic just worked so perfectly with the title of the mix.

I called the mix "Refuge" because I think of music as a refuge and this mix as an escape from from other crappy music...from work...from laundry...from the economy...from normal, crazy life.  I hope this mix can be a refuge for you too.

download :

TRACKLIST:
00:00    Canyon Country - Dead or Dreaming
03:50    David Sylvian - Maria
06:15    Martin Grech - Kingdom
09:30    Sufjan Stevens - Holland
12:50    Grizzly Bear - Foreground
15:54    Antony & the Johnsons - Another World
19:35    Peter Gabriel - Father, Son
24:20    Roxy Music - Spin Me Round
28:50    REM - Star Me Kitten
31:45    Daniel Lanois - Bell Toll
33:00    David Bridie - Sad
36:30    David Sylvian - When Poets Dreamed of Angels
41:00    Martin Grech - Ashes Over Embers
46:30    P.G. Six - Lily of the West
51:35    Trespassers William - Love is Blindness
58:31    end

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi from Greece!
Thanks

icastico said...

Nice selection. I like Trespassers William and David Sylvian in particular.

Anonymous said...

You mention Sydney's mixes and since I still play & enjoy her Summer Mix you posted a while back, I was wondering if she posts her mixes anyplace.

Low Light Mixes said...

Unfortunately Syd does not post her mixes, although I have tried to talk her into it. Her mixes are more compilation cd's than a continuous mix like the one of hers I posted here. She said she'll try to post something if she has time. She also says thanks for listening.

seawallrunner said...

this is such a beautiful mix. I listened to it again today and was filled with serene joy. thank you for creating these beautiful mixes, and for enabling me to discover new artists to inspire me (and my photography too). Cheers from Vancouver BC - Vida.