As I said in my previous post, I spent more time listening to "normal" music than usual this year. But hat's not to say there weren't some fine ambient recordings released in 2012.
Back in October I did a mix of my favorite ambient artists of all time and three of those artists appear on the 2012 best of list. Topping that list is Kyle Bobby Dunn. He continues to put out absolutely perfect ambient music. Very much like 2010's "A Young Person's guide...", the new album, "Bring Me The Head Of Kyle Bobby Dunn", creates waves of sound & drones that calm & transport.
Here's the entire list of the best ambient/electronic/whatever of 2012, with audio samples when available...
1) Kyle Bobby Dunn - Bring Me The Head of Kyle Bobby Dunn(low point)
2) Bersarin Quartett - II(Denovali Records)
3) Mohn - Mohn(Kompakt)
4) 36 - Lithea(3six Recordings)
5) Taylow Deupree - Faint(12k)
6) Forrest Fang - Animism(Projekt)
7) Loops of Your Heart - And Never Ending Nights(Magazine)
8) Loscil - Sketches from New Brighton(Kranky)
9) Sonmi451 - Four Peaks(Time Released Sound)
10) Steve Roach & Dirk Serries - low volume music(Projekt)
11) Spheruleus - Cyanometry(Tessellate)
12) V.A. - lost in the humming air (music inspired by harold budd) (Oktaf)
13) Willamette - Always in Postscript(Own Records)
14) Marconi Union - Different Colours(Just Music)
15) Eivind Aarset - Dream Logic(ECM)
dream logic player
16) Nils Frahm - Screws(Erased Tapes)
17) John Adams - Harmonielehre - Short Ride in a Fast Machine(SFS Media)
18) VA - Air Texture Volume II(Air Texture)
19) Andy Stott - Luxury Problems(Modern Love)
20) Peter James - Landfall(Relaxed Machinery)