After the attacks in Paris on November 13th, NPR music did a show about music for healing. You can find it here... http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/11/17/456343231/music-for-healing
Two cuts on their playlist are from two of my favorite albums this year, Goldmund - Sometimes and Nils Frahm - Solo.
As I listened to those two tracks over & over I started to think about the piano as a healing instrument. The right song & circumstances can make just about any instrument a healing instrument. But somehow the piano seems ideally suited for that role.
Most of the tunes used here are new. In addition to the Goldmund & Frahm cuts another 2015 favorite album included in the mix is Chris Walla - Tape Loops. Walla is the drummer for Death Cab for Cutie and he has put together a nice collection that reminds me of Music for Airports & Music for Films.
I hope this mix can act as a musical balm, soothing our psyches in these turbulent times.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Goldmund - Sometimes
- 02:40 Chris Walla - Goodbye
- 08:00 Nils Frahm - Ode
- 12:10 Hior Chronik & Mikael Delta - Everything We Want to Feel
- 15:00 Max Richter - Cumulonimbus
- 20:20 Moon ate the dark - If Vanishing
- 24:25 Ocean in a Bottle - Circling Winter
- 25:50 Eskmo - Tamara
- 27:48 Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts II
- 30:55 Nils Frahm - 4'33"
- 32:40 Mette Henriette - .oOo.
- 35:55 Aphex Twin - Aisatsana
- 40:55 Chris Walla - flytoget
- 49:28 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos III
- 53:27 Stars of the Lid - Humectez La Mouture
- 57:45 Nils Frahm - merry
- 61:45 end