Sunday, December 27, 2015

2015 Jazz


This collection isn't necessarily a "best of 2015" , it's just some of my favorite jazz tunes from the past year.

It begins with one of my favorite albums of the year in any genre - The Thompson fields by The Maria Schneider Orchestra. The title track is remarkable.  The Jaga Jazzist album was a big surprise for me.  I've listen to them on and off for years but had lost interest for some reason.  The track in this mix is strange, futuristic electronic/jazz cut that I have listened to a ton this year.  The other two great discoveries were albums from Kamasi Washington and Kendrick Scott Oracle, definitely worth checking out.

Is there any jazz out there that really engaged you in 2015?  I'd love to hear about it in the comments.

Enjoy






T R A C K L I S T :
  • 00:00 Maria Schneider Orchestra - The Thompson Fields
  • 09:50 Jaga Jazzist - Oban
  • 15:12 Kamasi Washington - The Magnificent 7
  • 20:57 Andy Sheppard - Tipping Point
  • 26:37 Kendrick Scott Oracle - we are the drum
  • 32:00 food - this is not a miracle
  • 36:00 Hidden Orchestra - the Revival
  • 39:50 Chris Potter Underground Orchestra - Imaginary Cities(part 2)
  • 48:12 Jakob Bro - Copenhagen
  • 52:24 Giovanni Guidi Trio - The might it rained forever
  • 59:10 Vijay Iyer Trio - Geese
  • 63:45 Ben Monder - Zythum
  • 70:10 Maria Schneider Orchestra - Walking by Flashlight
  • 75:10 end






1 comment:

seawallrunner said...

I'm listening to "15:12 Kamasi Washington - The Magnificent 7" and some of the themes and tones in that piece remind me of Blackstar. I know that you mention Maria Schneider, and that she is the jazz bandleader in the bar where David Bowie discovered the band that joined him on his final album. Or am I reading too much into this, and still mourning?